Teens...having fun or planning for college...
get the information you need right here!
Vermont Department of Libraries
Recommended websites for research in the areas of:
- The Green Mountain Book Award (GMBA) — initiated in 2005, is a reader's choice award for Vermont students in grades 9 - 12. The program is intended to encourage high schoolers to become enthusiastic and discriminating readers. It is recommended that students read at least three of the year's 15 nominated titles before voting in the spring.
- Teen Reads—News and information about books and authors.
- Poetry 180—A poem a day for American high schools. Poems selected by Billy Collins, Former Poet Laureate of the United States.
Reference & Homework Help
- Kahn Academy — (Not-for-profit organization)—Over 1000 videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance.
- Internet Public Library—Step by step help with research writing
- FindHow—The "How-To" Search Engine
- Math2.org—Reference table on algebra, geometry, trip, and calculus
- SchoolAtlas.com—Links to reference sites as well as economics, psychology, languages, and religion.
- Teen Hoopla—Links to sites on arts and entertainment, health, and college info, book rants.
- HomeworkHelper—BJPinchbeck's homework helper. Started when BJ was 9 years old in 1996!
- MythWeb—Information about gods, heroes, and monsters of Greek mythology.
- Wikipedia—The free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
- Smithsonian—The world's largest museum and research complex, with 19 museums, 9 research centers and more than 140 affiliate museums around the world.
- Billboard—This is the Internet arm of Billboard magazine, the world's premier music publication. It offers news, features, columns and reviews about music.
- Music Lyrics—Just as it sounds, this is a huge archive of music lyrics.
- The Google Art Project—Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.
- Art Cyclopedia
Guide to Fine Art: movements in art, artists, museums and artworks. (9,000 artists, 2,900 art sites, 160,000 links)
- Art & Literature Daily
News and reviews from the world of letters. Includes current issue and archives. Published by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Just for fun
- HighSportsNet—Extended coverage of high school sports from USA Today.
- Vermont High School Sports—Maxpreps, is a CBSSports.com site.
- Vermont Sports Teams—Vermont high school, college, league, and professional sports.
- Skiing & Snowboarding—Conditions, resort finder, events, and deals at Vermont ski areas.
- Hunting & Fishing—Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department official website.
- Movie Reviews—Read movie reviews of the latest movie releases.
- Internet Movie Database—A huge, award-winning site all about movies and TV.
- Rotten Tomatoes
- Movie Trailers
Finding "yours" & Getting in
- Colleges in Vermont — Vermont Student Assistance Corporation has compiled a list of all Vermont institutions of higher education.
- College Board — put all your criteria for your college and receive a list of results based on your preferences.
- U.S. News and World Report ranks the best colleges in the nation.
- Writing the Essay — 10 Tips on writing a college essay.
- The Vermont Student Assistance Corp — Information on scholarships, grants and loans.
- FASFA — Application for federal aid for college.
Once you're in...
- Your dorm room— Tips for getting the most storage out space from your tiny dorm room.
- Handy tips—about how to get the most from your first year.
- Studying Abroad?—Start planning early. Tips for deciding if study abroad is for you.
Jobs & Volunteering
- Occupational Outlook Handbook — Lists the training and education needed, earnings, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job, and working conditions.
- StudentJobs.gov—The federal government's one-stop portal, it provides detailed information on all student hiring programs in the federal government.